Subject: bug#51266: closed (Re: bug#51266: 27.1; A missing archive in save-place-alist prevents Emacs from closing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#51266: 27.1; A missing archive in save-place-alist prevents Emacs from closing

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51266: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51266
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#51266: 27.1; A missing archive in save-place-alist prevents Emacs from closing
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Дмитрий Полиенко<[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:05:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Дмитрий,

> Дмитрий Полиенко <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Start Emacs without extra settings:
>>
>> emacs -Q
>>
>> Evaluate the following expressions:
>>
>> (save-place-mode)
>> (add-to-list 'save-place-alist '("/a.zip/b" . 1))
>> (kill-emacs)
>>
>> This produces an error because the archive "/a.zip" does not exist, so Emacs
>> does not terminate. Backtrace of the error:
>>
>> (file-error "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ...")
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this with Emacs 27.1 (or the current trunk) (on
> Debian).  Are there any additional steps necessary to reproduce the
> problem?

I cannot reproduce it with Emacs 27.2. Commit
a20845c160de2ba9f42b3af714d770df502d0577 could have fixed it.

In the emacs-28 branch, there is commit
6636a644599c95517b3935f831fa0df42cb16bf3, fixing bug#49030 and
bug#49043. This should definitively have fixed the problem, the former
bug speaks explicitly about saveplace.el.

You could install Tramp from GNU ELPA, the recent package includes the fix.

Closing the bug report. Feel free to reply, if you have evidences that
this is not fixed yet.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 27.1; A missing archive in save-place-alist prevents Emacs from closing
From: Дмитрий Полиенко<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:05:05 +0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start Emacs without extra settings:

emacs -Q

Evaluate the following expressions:

(save-place-mode)
(add-to-list 'save-place-alist '("/a.zip/b" . 1))
(kill-emacs)

This produces an error because the archive "/a.zip" does not exist, so
Emacs does not terminate. Backtrace of the error:

(file-error "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ...")
signal(file-error ("Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”:
..."))
tramp-gvfs-dbus-event-error((dbus-event :session 3 20 ":1.3" nil nil nil
ignore "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ...") (dbus-error
"Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ..."))
run-hook-with-args(tramp-gvfs-dbus-event-error (dbus-event :session 3 20
":1.3" nil nil nil ignore "Error when getting information for file
“/a.zip”: ...") (dbus-error "Error when getting information for file
“/a.zip”: ..."))
dbus-handle-event((dbus-event :session 3 20 ":1.3" nil nil nil ignore
"Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ..."))
funcall-interactively(dbus-handle-event (dbus-event :session 3 20 ":1.3"
nil nil nil ignore "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”:
..."))
call-interactively(dbus-handle-event nil [(dbus-event :session 3 20 ":1.3"
nil nil nil ignore "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”:
...")])
command-execute(dbus-handle-event nil [(dbus-event :session 3 20 ":1.3" nil
nil nil ignore "Error when getting information for file “/a.zip”: ...")] t)
read-event(nil nil 0.1)
tramp-gvfs-maybe-open-connection((tramp-file-name "archive" nil nil
"file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip" nil "/" nil))
tramp-gvfs-send-command((tramp-file-name "archive" nil nil
"file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip" nil "/" nil) "gvfs-ls" "-h" "-n" "-a"
"name,type,standard::display-name,standard::symlink..."
"archive://file%253A%252F%252F%252Fa.zip/")
tramp-gvfs-get-directory-attributes("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/")
tramp-gvfs-get-file-attributes("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-gvfs-handle-file-attributes("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-gvfs-handle-file-attributes
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler(file-attributes
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler file-attributes
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-file-name-handler(file-attributes
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
file-attributes("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-handle-file-exists-p("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-handle-file-exists-p "/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler(file-exists-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler file-exists-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-file-name-handler(file-exists-p "/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
file-exists-p("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-gvfs-handle-file-readable-p("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-gvfs-handle-file-readable-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler(file-readable-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
apply(tramp-gvfs-file-name-handler file-readable-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-file-name-handler(file-readable-p
"/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
file-readable-p("/archive:file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip:/b")
tramp-archive-handle-file-readable-p("/a.zip/b")
apply(tramp-archive-handle-file-readable-p "/a.zip/b")
tramp-archive-file-name-handler(file-readable-p "/a.zip/b")
file-readable-p("/a.zip/b")
save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
save-place-alist-to-file()
save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
kill-emacs()
eval((kill-emacs) nil)
elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
eval-last-sexp(nil)
funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23,
cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2021-01-18, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-045
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Ubuntu 21.04

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
t
(("/a.zip/b" . 1))
Tramp: Opening connection for file%3A%2F%2F%2Fa.zip using archive...
Entering debugger...
Mark set
Saved text from "Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-erro"

Configured using:
'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

--with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
--infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
--with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

--with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
--with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-P5Mppj/emacs-27.1+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: en_US.utf8
value of $LC_MONETARY: ru_RU.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: ru_RU.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: ru_RU.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree
cl-print debug backtrace help-mode easymenu find-func tramp-cache
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs zeroconf url-util url-parse url-vars dbus xml
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date
ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv saveplace tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78716 10139)
(symbols 48 8925 1)
(strings 32 26036 1988)
(string-bytes 1 880659)
(vectors 16 15214)
(vector-slots 8 193140 9704)
(floats 8 48 300)
(intervals 56 963 198)
(buffers 1000 15))