Subject: bug#51262: [PATCH] Don't use color escape sequences in `vc-git-expanded-log-entry'

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:00:57 -0700

close 51262 28.1
thanks

Jan Synáček <[email-masked]> writes:

> It looks like the following part of my ~/.gitconfig triggers the issue:
> ...
> [color]
>     ui = always

Aha, so that's the culprit.  Presumably without that, git detects that
it's a "dumb" terminal and doesn't output any color escape sequences.

> Colors as in interpreted escape sequences?

That was my first assumption, but it's actually just font-locking.

It seems like your proposed patch does fix the reported issue, and I
could see no other adverse effects; the colors are there there even with
your patch.

I have therefore now pushed this to the emacs-28 branch (commit
5c1a575ef4) with some minor touch-ups to the commit message.  I'm
therefore closing this bug report.

Thanks again for the bug report and patch!