Subject: Re: bug#51259: Cannot build Guix from source (error messages about the translations)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 13:54:08 +0200

Leo Famulari 写道：
> ./doc/guix.ko.texi:431: here is the previous definition as @node
> ./doc/guix.ko.texi:2065: @node `??????' previously defined

This seems to hint at a locale error, and indeed it was: when I 
check out a fresh guix.git and build it in a recent ‘guix 
environment guix’ on Guix System, I get the same error as you.

When I repeat the exact same steps but first set

   $ export LC_ALL=en_IE.utf8

in the environment, the build goes swimmingly.

I only ran each test once so it could be a coincidence, but I 
doubt it.

As for the actual error…

> ./doc/guix.ko.texi:431: here is the previous definition as @node
> ./doc/guix.ko.texi:2065: @node `??????' previously defined

At the risk of being naive: could it simply be that the missing 
locale turns the Korean UTF-8 into a literal ‘??????’, which of 
course matches another mangled @node string of the same length?

Kind regards,

T G-R