Subject: Re: bug#51246: 29.0.50; New tab button on tab bar doesn't respond to button up events

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:27:51 +0300

close 51246 28.0.60
thanks

> It's annoying because there is absolutely no feedback between when the
> mouse clicks down on the button, and when the new tab is created, much
> less an opportunity for the user to cancel the action.

I agree, and web browsers also implement this as you described.
It was just an oversight, not a design decision, so I fixed this now.
Thanks for noticing.

> Rebinding the "new tab" command to tab-bar mouse-1 (instead of
> down-mouse-1, which is what it seems to be right now) would certainly be
> possible, but I don't understand how the tab bar code works: when I run
> describe-key and click the "+" button, I'm told tab-bar mouse-1 is bound
> to `tab-bar-close-tab-from-button', and tab-bar down-mouse-1 is bound to
> `tab-bar-mouse-select-tab', neither of which make much sense, because
> the "+" button creates a new tab, not select or close an existing one.

You are right, these names make no sense, so I renamed them now.

> Could someone explain exactly which command runs when the "+" button is
> clicked, and how to bind it to mouse-1, instead of down-mouse-1?

There bindings are applied to the whole tab bar, not to each tab.
This is in contrast to how the tab line is implemented
where it's possible to bind different keys to each tab.