Subject: bug#51233: 28.0.60; Bookmark fringe indicator not removed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:24:28 +0200

> From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 14:24:36 -0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> This is exactly what I do:
> 
> 1. emacs -q
> 2. C-x C-f /tmp/test-fringe (a new blank file)
> 3. Type "some text"
> 4. C-x r m (you can use the default name or enter a different one)
> 5. C-x r l (by default replaces window, but also tested it side by
> side as in your case by first splitting the window)
> 6. d x (the bookmark disappears from the list as per usual)
> 7. q (the /tmp/test-fringe buffer is shown again)
> 8. I get what's shown in the attached screenshot.
> 
> I've done about 20 repetitions now and a couple of times I actually
> saw the indicator disappear, in both cases it was the one in the last
> line of the buffer and in one case it took some time before it was
> removed (it was weird because I was going to take the screenshot and
> all of a sudden the image vanished). Perhaps try entering a few
> additional bookmarks in other lines of the file.

Thanks, should be fixed now on the emacs-28 branch.

(The lesson to take home today is that the recipe should always be
described 110% precisely, especially when the initial attempt at
reproduction fails.  The bug only happened when the bookmark position
was NOT at beginning of line, and until the above accurate description
that was never actually said nor even hinted.  Needless to say, I
always put the bookmarks at BOL, since it's so easy.  So I never saw
the bug.)