Subject: Re: bug#51215: Add a navigation feature to vc and diff mode: diff-goto-line

From: Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 09:41:43 +0100

>>> "JL" == Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36526
>>> Is a different patch than the one I committed. Mine (=Davis) does not
>>> touch the vc-root-diff command it is on a strict one-file base and
>>> therefore simpler.
>>> Why not apply «mine» and if there is sufficient interest switch to 36526?
>> 
>> Read further down, we've discussed (unfortunately briefly) Davis's patch
>> closer to the end: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36526#53
>> 
>> I don't object to applying it, but like I said, it needs someone to
>> champion it, do a proper review. I don't have the time or interest at the
>> moment.

> I have been using Davis's patch for a long time
> and collected a long list of its problems below.
> Later I could try to help fixing all these issues:

> 1. diff-goto-line doesn't work with 'C-x v D'

> 2. 'C-c C-d' (log-edit-show-diff) leaves point at end, should leave at beginning

Ok I figured that function out, now. It is in the vc-log buffer. I find 
(diff-hl-diff-goto-hunk much more useful but that is a question of
taste).

I cannot reproduce the behavior you describe in my workflow.

The pointer is neither at the end nor at the beginning but on some hunk (I
did not figured out, why to this particular hunk). Are you saying the
default behavior is that is should jump to the beginning of the diff
buffer? Hm seems odd to me.

There is another issue: Dmitry's very nice diff-hl pkg seems to have
implemented lately a very similar feature that the one provided by Davis patch.

However, I am struggling currently with this new functionality in some
circumstances and I am in contact with him to resolve it.

In case diff-hg finally works as expected, the question is then: should
Davis patch or an improved version of it still be  included in GNU emacs vanilla?

Uwe