Subject: Re: bug#51215: Add a navigation feature to vc and diff mode: diff-goto-line

From: Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:16:08 +0200

>>> "DG" == Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
Hi Dmitry

Thanks for answering and clarify some points
> Hi Uwe,
> On 14.10.2021 23:42, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> I became very interested in that feature and was not able to install
>> Davis's second patch (most likely to many changes in the last 5 years)
>> His first patch, however, I could still apply and I tested it (using
>> mercurial) almost for a year and it worked flawlessly for me.
>> That is why I strongly recommend to apply the patch, then
>> 1. Either errors are found and these will be corrected or the
>> patch removed
>> 2. Or even better the feature will enhanced
>> But I think to reject the patch, again, would not be a bit of a
>> shame.

> The most recent discussion regarding it can be found in bug#36526.

I am not that used to that interface I jumped to 
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-bug-tracker/2020-08/msg00633.html

But that seems to be an automatic generated message. How can I see its
history and see that it is really Davis' original patch? The first or
the second. As I said I only tested the first one, for a year now.

> To sum up: the patch(es) have merit, and they're waiting for someone
> to champion their inclusion: test them for bugs, compare the different
> available implementations of the "skip to" functionality, and
> generally examine how the new functionality affects the existing
> workflows (e.g. whether it should be enabled on root diffs).

Forgive me my ignorance (maybe because I am  a mercurial user 😇)
the documentation vc-root-diff talks about tree revision

So if I understand that correctly this is for the case I want really
consider the diff of the repository? 

That is the same effect as if:  I change 3 files in the repository and would run 
git diff
or 
hg diff 
from the command line?

If that is the case I would say, disable the feature for that sort of
diffs  for the moment. The patch is more useful for
one-file-basis.
At least that is how  I used it for a year.

So what is the best strategy? How can I test the patch concerning 
bug#36526?

The message talks about emacs 26, I am running a 2 month old
git master emacs (still 28).
So can that patch be tested in version I use?

Regards

Uwe