Subject: Re: bug#51196: 29.0.50; python.el eldoc problems

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 22:22:29 +0200

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 20:42, Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've expressed this opinion before regarding the autocompletion
> mechanism, which shows similar shortcomings, I believe that the best
> options are:
>
> - Have a sane, solid and simple python.el with good syntax highlighting,
>   movements commands, folding, etc. and leave the cleverness to elpy,
>   lsp-mode, eglot, emacs-jupyter or whatever.

But the problematic Eldoc functionality is disabled by default, right?
So leaving it there doesn't hurt anyone --- except for the unwitting
user who doesn't know that this feature is kind of broken.

>
> - If we still want some basic autocompletion and documentation features
>   in this module, then let's do it right and open a thread in the
>   underlying process and talk to it, avoiding the flaky and dangerous
>   mechanism of pretending that emacs is the user typing.

Personally I have zero motivation to implement this, because it would
still require evaluating code before one can get completion or
docstrings.  Nowadays there are decent static analyzers for Python out
there.