Subject: Re: lagrange: fribidi and harfbuzz dependencies?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:56:10 +0200

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2021, 07:22 -0800 schrieb Christopher Howard:
> [...]
> 
> According to the Lagrange github README, Lagrange should be able to
> utilize the fribidi and harfbuzz software to properly display these
> sorts of scripts, but it does not seem to be doing this in Guix, even
> though these packages are available.
> 
> I attempted running lagrange inside "guix environment --ad-hoc
> fribidi harfbuzz" 
That's not how any of this works.  Even if Lagrange were to mystically
pick up packages from your environment, which more likely than not it
doesn't, you would still have to include it in said environment for it
to make a difference.

> but the scripts are still displaying backwards, suggesting that
> something needs to be modified in the package definition itself to
> utilize this software.
I suggest trying a variant of lagrange that has harfbuzz to verify that
it indeed does make a difference.  You can construct one by editing
Guix source or by using the following with the right (use-modules ...)
clause on top:

(package
  (inherit lagrange)
  (inputs 
   `(("harfbuzz" ,harfbuzz)
     ,@(package-inputs lagrange))))

Alternatively, someone else might try given the file you've provided,
just putting this out there if you want to experiment on your own :)

Regards,
Liliana