Subject: Re: bug#51177: 29.0.50; stop-process on pipes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:51:29 +0200

Helmut Eller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 13 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 11:20:01 +0200
>>> 
>>> 
>>> I would like to request this feature: stop-process, when called with a
>>> sub-process that is connected via pipes, should use delete_read_fd.  It
>>> should basically do the same as for sockets.
>>
>> Unlike with sockets, we are talking about a real sub-process on the
>> other end of the pipe, and it will now get SIGPIPE.  Are we sure this
>> is OK? perhaps it will interfere with the process's cleanup when it
>> receives a signal?
>
> A valid concern, yes.
>
>> If there's any real possibility this could change behavior, I think we
>> should make such behavior optional.
>
> Maybe we could add a pair of functions that exposes delete_read_fd and
> add_process_read_fd more directly.
>
> Helmut

I haven't read you request and patch in detail, but have you tried
"(set-process-filter proc t)"?  Looking at the doc string of
set-process-filter and reading its code suggests that this may be what
you want.

Best regards.