Subject: bug#51176: eww switch buffer by title

From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 20:59:43 +0100

On Fri, Oct 15 2021, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Since you went for the complex config, and additional option i'd find
>> useful for the ewww rename "flag" would be a string that specifies the
>> format to use once the title/url part has been computed.  So one can set
>> it to, say, "eww: %s", or whatever. I know that that use case is already
>> covered by the possibility of specifying a function, but having to
>> duplicate the default function just to change the final format string
>> feels a bit overkill (and i suspect changing the format is going to be a
>> very common reason to opt for a function call).
>
> I think it's best to leave that sort of flexibility to the function
> option -- there's too many ways users may want to customise this.

but, 43.45% of users will simply want to change the format and get rid
of "# eww" at the end to see more of the title! :)

specifying a format string is extremely common in many packages out
there for things like this, and is, in my opinion, much more
user-friendly: to change that format with a function, one has to study
eww's api for obtaining title and url, and write a non-trivial piece of
elisp, probably (although admittedly not necessarily) outside the
customization interface.

in other words, i find the format string option as natural and common as
the nil and t ones (which, in a way, are also redundant and could be
removed, since it's trivial to write a function for them).

but i'm probably exaggerating: people will simply copy and paste the
relevant piece of elisp in their init files and call it a day.  so i'll
stop the bike-shedding now :)

cheers,
jao
-- 
Love, friendship, respect, do not unite people as much as a common
hatred for something. -Anton Chekhov (1860-1904)