Subject: bug#51176: eww switch buffer by title

From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 14:25:31 +0100

On Fri, Oct 15 2021, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Because it may be useful for your consideration, there also exists the
>> more complex approach that I alluded to earlier ("complex" may be an
>> exaggeration, but still).  Attached as well and also based on your
>> feedback.
>>
>>     0001-Implement-auto-renaming-scheme-for-EWW-buffers-complex.patch
>
> Thanks; I thought the "complex" one was simpler, so I pushed that to
> Emacs 29 (with some trivial changes and a manual entry).

Since you went for the complex config, and additional option i'd find
useful for the ewww rename "flag" would be a string that specifies the
format to use once the title/url part has been computed.  So one can set
it to, say, "eww: %s", or whatever. I know that that use case is already
covered by the possibility of specifying a function, but having to
duplicate the default function just to change the final format string
feels a bit overkill (and i suspect changing the format is going to be a
very common reason to opt for a function call).

Cheers,
jao
-- 
Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also
easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve.
  - Alan Perlis, Epigrams on Programming