Subject: Re: bug#51176: eww switch buffer by title

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:31:22 +0300

On 2021-10-13, 20:14 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I see.  Then maybe in the existing hook `eww-after-render-hook'?
>
> Yup; I misread the code -- that looks like the correct place to put it.
> But I can also see many people wanting this, so perhaps a user option to
> rename the buffers this way would be nice.

That is right.  I am preparing together with another person a patch that
auto-renames eww buffers after they are rendered.  The idea is to use
either the page title or, if that is not available, the page's URL.

In terms of user options, there would be a toggle to enable the
behaviour (off by default to not upset existing users) as well as a
defcustom with ":type 'function", so users can specify exactly how the
renaming scheme should work.

I expect the code to be finalised within the coming days, in case you
have not done the work already.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com