Subject: bug#51176: eww switch buffer by title

From: Yuchen Pei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:15:55 +1100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yuchen Pei <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> How about switching to an eww buffer by title?
>
> So the use case is that you have a large number of eww buffers, 
> but you
> want to find a particular based on the title of the web page 
> being
> displayed in that buffer?

Yes.  For me I'm just trying to use eww as my main browser.  For 
that to happen, I'd need to duplicate the tabs functionality in 
firefox, and tabs are identified by titles.

>
> I'm not sure that's generally useful enough to include -- do 
> people use
> `C-u M-x eww' a lot?

I don't know.  I assume people who use a graphical browser 
generally have more tabs open than I do (I have an addon in my 
firefox limiting the number of tabs to 15 by killing LRU tabs), 
but I don't know how many eww users use eww as their main browser 
and how many have migrated from graphical browsers to eww.

BTW I have a few functions with keybindings spawning new eww 
buffers in my init file.

>
> There may also be several buffers with the same title, I guess, 
> in which
> case this wouldn't allow you to choose either?

I think with icomplete it will show all of them in the minibuffer 
and you can choose (you can't tell which one is which though, same 
as graphical browser tabs).  But I haven't tested it without 
icomplete - will do.

-- 
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
           <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>