Subject: bug#51167: 29.0.50; org-indent-line broken

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:34:27 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sounds like a chain of confusion.
>
> A command called "indent-line" definitely should indent.

org-indent-line indents just like every indentation function in every
other major mode: if the syntactic convention calls for it, it indents
or de-indents the current line; otherwise it leaves the line untouched.

Or are you saying you would like org-indent-line to also indent "* bla",
because « a command called "indent-line definitely should indent »?

> Seems the original coulprit is that unhappy switch of RET and C-j, in
> order to make Emacs "modern".

"Modern" did not factor in; the goal was to have RET and C-j behave
consistently in all major modes.

> Maybe make RET RET again?

After much discussion on emacs-orgmode, it has been found that a lot of
users expect neither (1) their prose to be indented, nor (2) RET to
indent.

Since electric-indent-mode is enabled globally in Emacs, RET indents
according to the major mode's indentation rules.  Thus it was decided to
change the default value of org-adapt-indentation, to reflect the
expectations of the Org users who took the time to chime in on the
mailing list to describe their workflow and expectations.

If you think the default value should be reverted back to t, I suggest
you make your case on emacs-orgmode.