Subject: Re: bug#51167: 29.0.50; org-indent-line broken

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:35:42 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> With following stuff in org-mode buffer:
>
> * bla
> asd
>
> M-x org-indent-line RET on second line has no effect.

Org 9.5 changed the default value of org-adapt-indentation from t to
nil, as that seemed to be what a lot of users expect[1], so
org-indent-line should not indent the second line in Emacs 28 onward
unless configured otherwise:

- setting org-adapt-indentation back to t will make Org indent by
  inserting whitespace;

- alternatively, enabling org-indent-mode will make Org "soft-indent"
  with text properties.

[1] Org 9.4 made RET and C-j obey electric-indent-mode like they do in
    most other major modes.  Since org-adapt-indentation was t by
    default, this led to many dismayed reports on emacs-orgmode that
    "RET now messes up indentation", indicating that these users did not
    expect their prose to be indented.