Subject: Re: 28.0.50; Wrong cursor face in new frame with pgtk

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:25:45 +0300

On 2021-10-12, 12:50 +0200, Tomasz Hołubowicz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Bug happens while using pgtk branch (with native comp option
> enabled). Using the same configuration file with only native comp option
> enabled did not triggered the bug.
>
> When creating new frame while using modus-vivendi theme the cursor face
> instead of using the theme color, used the color of the underlying
> character - when on blue character, the cursor is blue and the character
> takes the background color, when on background the cursor takes
> background color which makes it invisible. 
>
> Bug could not be reproduced by starting Emacs with 'emacs -Q' since
> whenever the theme is loaded or reloaded the bug ceases to exist and
> Emacs can be used normally.

Thank you Tomasz for reporting this upstream!  As I noted in my issue
tracker and based on what you describe here, this must not be a bug with
the modus-themes but with the feature/pgtk branch.

I am, nonetheless, monitoring the issue and am prepared to support the
maintainers if they need any further input from my side.

> Cursor face definition is a simple code below (from modus-themes.el):
> `(cursor ((,class :background ,fg-main)))

Just to expand on this: the 'cursor' face for the modus-vivendi theme is
very simple in that it just uses a white colour for the background
attribute.

Because the two modus-themes (modus-operandi and modus-vivendi) are
derived from the same source, if there was a problem here it should also
occur in modus-operandi, whose 'cursor' uses a black background.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com