Subject: Re: bug#51143: 29.0.50; Long delay after M-x commandname

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 14:56:40 +0200

Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]> writes:

> Let me summarize. The part of "M-x commandname" that takes a long time
> is the call to `execute-extended-command--shorter' - like this:
>
>   (execute-extended-command--shorter "find-eev-quick-intro" "find-eev-qui")

But it's run like this:

(while-no-input (execute-extended-command--shorter "find-eev-quick-intro" "find-eev-qui"))

So typing any key should abort it.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make the function shorter, but what's the
use case where this matters to the user?  You mention it affecting
`M-x TAB', but as far as I can see, that function is never called when
doing that?

I tried

M-x debug-on-entry RET execute-extended-command--shorter RET
M-x TAB

and it wasn't called.  Do you have a complete recipe, starting from
"emacs -Q", that demonstrates the problem?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no