Subject: Re: guix home reconfigure does not apply changes to shepherd services

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:21:36 +0300

On 2021-10-12 01:53, Oleg Pykhalov wrote:

> After changing a home shepherd service I tried to reconfigure with 'guix
> home reconfigure'.
>
> Process started by a service did not restart.  Assuming home shepherd is
> like Guix System shepherd I tried to 'herd restart SERVICE_NAME', the
> process restarted but without changes in a service definition.

It's intentional, only `herd load root new-config.conf` called on
activation, so existing services are not affected to prevent situations,
where emacs daemon or other important process killed in the middle of
unsaved work.

You can do `herd unload root SERVICE_NAME` and after that reconfigure
will apply the latest configuration and start the service (if
auto-start? is true).

>
> To forcely apply the changes I invoked 'herd stop root' and then ran
> 'guix home reconfigure' again which spawned new shepherd with applied
> changes.
>
> Oleg.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin