Subject: bug#51135: timeout: --foreground causes exit status 124, even if KILL was used

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:11:35 +0200

On Mon, 2021-10-11 at 22:04 +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> +However if the @option{--foreground} option is specified then
> +@command{timeout} will not send any signals to its own process,
> +and so it will exit with one of the other exit status values
> detailed above.

So 137 is only used when the signal was sent to timeout itself?

I'd have actually found it quite nice if 137 was used *even* with
--foreground.

That way one could differentiate between whether COMMAND had the chance
to do cleanups, or whether the calling process should take care on
that.

For example, I use timeout with a program that reads a phassphrase and
prints it to stdout.
It disables the terminal's ECHO, so when it has to be killed, the
calling process would need to re-enable that mnually.

Cheers,
Chris.