Subject: bug#51132: Make sure user is doubly aware of finished complilations

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:09:51 +0800

> Try turning off truncate-partial-width-windows

>> Anyway, we are talking about a user who (mis-)configures his windows
>> so that nothing useful is visible on the mode line,

All I know is I was using emacs -Q.

>> C-x 2 C-x 3 C-x 2 C-x 3...
>> then you will have many *Compilation* buffers, right?

No. Many *scratch* buffers, as shown by the steps I posted.

KLG> I'm assuming that Dan would keep at most _one_ window displaying the
KLG> *compilation* buffer.

>> then buries the *Compilation* buffer (since the compilation he
>> launches doesn't interest him at all, right?), and then, when he
>> finally wants to know what happened there, doesn't even consider to
>> look back in that buried buffer? Is that the situation?

Correct: no reason to keep staring at a half-hour long boring
compilation when there is lots of email to reply to, etc. Before long
that buffer is no longer one of the many still on the screen.

But think about it like a file you were editing and hadn't yet saved
before exiting emacs. Emacs correctly asks you about it upon exit.

Maybe (info "(emacs) Compilation") should mention:
"Like KLG says, it is extremely easy to forget you had a lengthy compile
job running, and ...

KLG> 5. consider I have finished working on the unrelated matters, and close
KLG>    Emacs,

KLG> 6. bang my head on the desk out of frustration and self-loathing.

... therefore perhaps consider wrapping your compile jobs in a nohup(1)
statement, perhaps with a tail -f nohup.out to simulate traditional
compile-mode output. Example: ..."