Subject: bug#51128: timeout --kill-after=0 seems to not send a kill 0s after the initial signal

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 03:21:34 +0200

Hey.

One more thing on this, since I've just read through:
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/timeout-invocation.html#timeout-invocation

That does IMO *not* document the behaviour:

--kill-after=duration says:
>This option has no effect if timeout’s duration is 0 which disables
>the associated timeout. 

But that's about the timeout from the command itself (i.e. the 1st non-
option argument), isn't it?

So it means that if I have:

timeout --kill-after=10 0 ./command

There won't be a KILL after 10s, since the duration itself is 0.

There's no word about that --kill-after=0 disabling the KILL in the
duration != 0 case as in:
timeout --kill-after=0 10 ./command

Cheers,
Chris.