Subject: Re: bug#51104: comp-tests.elc messes up after reconfiguring for different machine

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:34:49 +0000

Paul Eggert via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 9/12/22 10:30, Andrea Corallo wrote:
>> I believe in theory should be possible to move this computation in the
>> compile time to keep "comp-tests.elc" arch indepent if this is
>> requirement.
>
> As I understand it, .elc files are supposed to be architecture independent.
>
> Is Lars onto something when he says this should be a .eln file
> instead? I don't recall what comp-tests.el does.

comp-tests.el just tests the native compiler (in this case the ret type
prediction it does).

I guess here make check does byte-compile comp-tests.el but being the
tests executed with a non-interactive emacs this is never native compiled
afterward (it would hide the issue).

Probably the quickest and easiest fix is just to add the
`no-byte-compile' into comp-tests.el.

  Andrea