Subject: bug#51099: guix refresh/lint can provide false positive about updates

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 21:19:35 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> In Guix, we commit to offer officially released packages where
> available/feasible.  Some projects produce release that are not
> "stable", such as GStreamer, and our 'guix refresh' tool can't currently
> tell the difference:
>
> $ guix lint gstreamer-docs
> [...]
> [email-masked]: can be upgraded to 1.19.2
>
> For GStreamer, every odd minor release version indicates a development
> snapshot (unstable) release.

Ah that’s an interesting case.  The ‘gnome’ updater checks for odd minor
release numbers already.  But in this case, it’s the ‘generic-html’
updater that kicks in, which is nice, except it doesn’t know about the
odd/even scheme.

So yes, we could have a property like you suggest that the
‘generic-html’ and ‘generic-git’ updaters (at least) would honor.

Ludo’.