Subject: bug#51065: 29.0.50; Error in gnus-registry-initialize due to define-keymap

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 23:07:19 +0200

Hello,

these lines in "gnus-registry.el":

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(define-key gnus-summary-mark-map "M"
  (apply #'define-keymap :prefix "M" 'gnus-summary-mark-map keys-plist))
#+end_src

causes the following error when I try to start Gnus (using my personal
setup):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp "M")
  define-prefix-command("M" nil nil)
  define-keymap--define((:prefix "M" gnus-summary-mark-map "l" ...
  define-keymap(:prefix "M" gnus-summary-mark-map "l" ...
  apply(define-keymap :prefix "M" gnus-summary-mark-map ("l" ...
  gnus-registry-install-shortcuts()
  gnus-registry-initialize()
  [...]

Commenting out these lines makes the error go away.  CC'ing Lars who
changed this in commit

453db25413 Use `define-keymap' in gnus-registry-install-shortcuts
Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> Wed Oct 6 12:04:37 2021 +0200

TIA,

Michael.