Subject: Re: bug#51062: Customizable window resizing

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 19:01:43 +0200

>> The problem is rather that 'display-buffer' wasn't used in the first
 >> place to show the buffer.  Two things we could try to cover buffers that
 >> are shown via 'set-window-buffer' are
 >>
 >> - Invent a new buffer-local variable, say 'inhibit-temp-buffer-resize'
 >>    with the obvious meaning.
 >>
 >> - Invent a new window parameter 'inhibit-temp-buffer-resize' with the
 >>    obvious meaning.
 >
 > Earlier I proposed to add a new hook whose default value contains
 > shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer, so it can easily be removed from the hook.

What was that hook called?  I think we first have to decide whether we
want to inhibit such shrinks and fits for any display operation or only
those administrated by 'display-buffer'.  Then we'd either install that
inhibiting thing via 'window--display-buffer' (where we work on alist so
we can decide who overrides whom) or directly in 'fit-window-to-buffer'
(where we cannot discriminate any more whether an application very
urgently wants to impose its behavior and we always rely on the user's
setting).

martin