Subject: Re: 29.0.50; Making `gnus-define-keys' obsolete

From: Stephen Gildea <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 07:01:29 -0700

+mh-e-devel

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote to me:

>   Emacs 29 has grown a new function to define keymaps, `define-keymap'
>   somewhat inspired by the more than two-decades-old macro
>   `gnus-define-keys'.
>   
>   So I've now replaced all the usages of `gnus-define-keys' in Emacs 29
>   with `define-keymap' and was about to make `gnus-define-keys' obsolete,
>   but that macro is used by mh-e, too.  mh-e is also distributed outside
>   Emacs, if I understand correctly, so this code can't be converted.
>   
>   Stephen, would it make sense to copy the Gnus macro into mh-e, and
>   rename it mh-define-keys?  That way `gnus-define-keys' could be
>   obsoleted.
>   
>   A different solution would be to write a new mh-define-keymap that more
>   closely mimics the new `define-keymap' function, and then use it instead
>   in mh-e -- that's probably a better long-term solution, because you
>   could then remove the mh-define-keymap function at some later date (when
>   you shift the mh-e target to Emacs 29+).

MH-E is no longer developed nor distributed separately from GNU Emacs,
since maybe 2015.

You can update the MH-E part of the Emacs source tree to use Emacs 29
features.  No compatibility is needed.

Thanks for checking,

 < Stephen