Subject: 29.0.50; Making `gnus-define-keys' obsolete

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 12:14:13 +0200

Emacs 29 has grown a new function to define keymaps, `define-keymap'
somewhat inspired by the more than two-decades-old macro
`gnus-define-keys'.

So I've now replaced all the usages of `gnus-define-keys' in Emacs 29
with `define-keymap' and was about to make `gnus-define-keys' obsolete,
but that macro is used by mh-e, too.  mh-e is also distributed outside
Emacs, if I understand correctly, so this code can't be converted.

Stephen, would it make sense to copy the Gnus macro into mh-e, and
rename it mh-define-keys?  That way `gnus-define-keys' could be
obsoleted.

A different solution would be to write a new mh-define-keymap that more
closely mimics the new `define-keymap' function, and then use it instead
in mh-e -- that's probably a better long-term solution, because you
could then remove the mh-define-keymap function at some later date (when
you shift the mh-e target to Emacs 29+).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 36, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-10-06 built on elva
Repository revision: 8e37466efc36dab153a9c784ce1ff41c5a663318
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no