Subject: bug#51049: 28.0.50; tool-bar :vert-only property is broken, not documented and of limited use

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:55:29 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> According to commit d2bd51898e4 the :vert-only property for toolbar
> items is supposed to be "for tool bar items with labels not shown
> horizontally".
>
> These properties are used in some places in our sources, but are not
> documented in (info "(elisp) Tool Bar").
>
> They also don't seem to be working, at least not in GTK:

Here's how the default toolbar looks for me:

If I then add :vert-only to "Save" I get this:

So with the current implementation I think it just means "just show the
icon and not icon+text".

> If anything, I would like the option to *hide* labels in horizontal
> mode, as having labels makes the toolbar change size when I switch
> between windows to with different major modes.

Yes, I agree -- the intention seems to be to hide the text only when the
toolbar is vertical, but I think most people would rather prefer the
opposite if this is to be tweakable.

> So should the :vert-only property be documented?  Fixed?  Removed?

It seems useful and works, so I think it should be documented -- but the
name :vert-only is really misleading.  It should be :image-only, I
guess?