Subject: Re: bug#51049: 28.0.50; tool-bar :vert-only property is broken, not documented and of limited use

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:10:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jan Djärv, who implemented that, was our X and
> GTK expert, so it is hard for me to believe that the code didn't work
> at least then (it could have bit-rotten with the newer versions of
> GTK, of course).

Right.  If the feature was never documented, it might be the case that
no one is using it, or are not aware of it, and that therefore no one
noticed that it's bitrotted.

>> I also do wonder if this property is at all useful.  If anything, I
>> would like the option to *hide* labels in horizontal mode, as having
>> labels makes the toolbar change size when I switch between windows to
>> with different major modes.
>
> It's fine to introduce new features, but why remove old ones while at
> that?  What is not useful to you could be useful to someone else.

I'm just asking the question based on my observations.  I don't see a
use-case for this feature, and if it is indeed broken then the fact that
no one has complained might be some indication.

If you think that this feature could be useful, then I have no objection
to keeping it.  But if it is indeed broken, it should at least be fixed
to work as intended, and then documented; preferably in that order.