Subject: Re: bug#51048: No license in crate - guix import

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 08:20:58 +0200

Michael Zappa schreef op di 05-10-2021 om 18:31 [-0400]:
> Hello all,
> I have been playing around with the 'guix import' tools to
> see how easily I can get some package definitions. In the process of
> trying to package https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd with 'guix import
> crate spotifyd -r' I found that one of the nested dependencies,
> [email-masked] did not work with the automatic importer because it
> does not have a license in its crate
> https://crates.io/crates/libpulse-sys/0.0.0.
> 
> Obviously it would be ideal to get whoever is using this out-of-date
> library in their package to update their dependencies so this is
> entirely avoided, but short of that has there ever been discussion on
> how to handle 'license-less' packages? I haven't seen any in my short
> time lurking on this list. It seems to be a rigid requirement for the
> crate importer.

I don't now if there has been a discussion,
but other importers (at least the minetest importer) set the license
field to #f if no license information was unavailable.

Modifying <crate-version> such that 'license' is set to #f if it has 
'null' as value in the JSON might be sufficient I think?

Greetings,
Maxime