Subject: bug#51041: 28.0.60; toggle-truncate-lines should not print message

From: Tyler Grinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 13:39:43 -0400

(toggle-truncate-lines t)

Prints the message "Truncate long lines enabled". When called from
elisp, this message should be ignored. If called interactively, the
message should be displayed.

diff --git a/lisp/simple.el b/lisp/simple.el
index 3695415163..0df66ab8a8 100644
--- a/lisp/simple.el
+++ b/lisp/simple.el
@@ -8313,13 +8313,14 @@ toggle-truncate-lines
 		      (if (eq buffer (window-buffer window))
 			  (set-window-hscroll window 0)))
 		    nil t)))
-  (message "Truncate long lines %s%s"
-	   (if truncate-lines "enabled" "disabled")
-           (if (and truncate-lines visual-line-mode)
-               (progn
-                 (visual-line-mode -1)
-                 (format-message " and `visual-line-mode' disabled"))
-             "")))
+  (let ((disable-vlm (and truncate-lines visual-line-mode)))
+    (if disable-vlm (visual-line-mode -1))
+    (if (called-interactively-p 'any)
+        (message "Truncate long lines %s%s"
+	         (if truncate-lines "enabled" "disabled")
+                 (if disable-vlm
+                     (format-message " and `visual-line-mode' disabled")
+                   "")))))
 
 (defun toggle-word-wrap (&optional arg)
   "Toggle whether to use word-wrapping for continuation lines.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-10-04 built on tyler-hp
Repository revision: 3a9d5f04fb23cc89797f5d5102607c790440201e
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-native-compilation
 --with-json --with-modules --with-gnutls --with-harfbuzz
 --with-xwidgets --prefix=/home/tyler/code/emacs 'CFLAGS=-O3
 -mtune=native -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70085 8512)
 (symbols 48 6642 0)
 (strings 32 19589 1584)
 (string-bytes 1 672318)
 (vectors 16 14113)
 (vector-slots 8 298530 14069)
 (floats 8 22 31)
 (intervals 56 331 1)
 (buffers 992 11))