Subject: Re: bug#51038: 27.2; ELPA certificate not trusted on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:35:12 +0300

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 13:12:14 +0000
> From: John Cummings <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> >I don't understand: you want to do what for that build?
> 
> Upgrade the client -- emacs and gnutls -- to work with this trust chain.

That's not how this stuff works on MS-Windows.  There, the
certificates are stored by the system, and GnuTLS (and Emacs) just use
what the system stores.  See gnutls_certificate_set_x509_system_trust.

So you need to update your Windows system, and then everything will
work.

Of course, you can install a cert bundle from someplace and tell
GnuTLS to use it.  But I'm not sure this is easy on Windows, or that
it would override the system's trust store, or even where to download
that from.  And in any case, the fix is again on your system, not in
Emacs or in GnuTLS: those don't come with any certificate DB, at least
not AFAIK.