Subject: Re: bug#51038: 27.2; ELPA certificate not trusted on Windows

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 11:25:12 +0200

John Cummings <[email-masked]> writes:

> I believe that this is what you should expect if you are using gnutls
> 3.6.12 and you have the expired X3 root cert in your trust store.

Yup.  So this isn't a problem on Savannah.  Quoting:

----
From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Subject: Certificate Expiration Event September 2021

On September 30, 2021, as planned the DST Root CA X3 cross-sign has expired
for the Let's Encrypt trust chain.  That was a normal and planned event. 
However coupled with a verification error in the code of libraries
authenticating certificates it caused some clients that have not been updated
to fixed versions to have problems validating certificates.

If you are experiencing invalid certificate chain problems with Let's Encrypt
certificates (not a Savannah problem) then please upgrade your client to the
latest security patches for your system.  Please reference these resources as
to upstream information and discussion about the issue.

* https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/
* https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/production-chain-changes/150739/4
* https://letsencrypt.org/docs/certificate-compatibility/
* https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/
* https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2021/09/13/LetsEncryptRootCertExpire/
----

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no