Subject: Re: bug#51037: [PATCH] Make `print-level` & `print-length` customizable in ERT batch tests

From: Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 06:41:20 -0700

Hey Lars,

>> Sorry to chime-in late, but my patch does _not_ affect the
>> printing of backtraces, just results. That said, I do agree 
>> with
>> Eli about the truncated backtraces often being useless; what do
>> you think of another variable controlling
>> that... `ert-batch-full-backtraces` or something?
>
> I'm not sure I quite follow you here -- the original patch would 
> make
> the backtraces printed by ert more complete, wouldn't they?

Only when comparing _results_. Say I have test code like:

    (let ((a (<some complex list>)
          (b (<another complex list>))))
      ...
      (should (equal a b))

My changes would case the error message from the failed `should`
invocation to print `a` & `b` more fully (i.e. with fewwer
ellipses).

The backtrace logic is separate, and un-touched by my patch as
submitted (tho of course I can change that).

-- 
Michael <[email-masked]>