Subject: Re: bug#51037: [PATCH] Make `print-level` & `print-length` customizable in ERT batch tests

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 21:03:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry, I don't think I understand: why would that make them
> unreadable?  Text terminals wrap long lines.  Or what am I missing?
> Can you perhaps show an example of such an unreadable error summary?

If you have very long structures, a simple backtrace can take many
screenfuls, which isn't what most people want or expect.

> OK, but I was thinking about a more general problem, not just about
> ERT.  The backtraces displayed in batch-mode are truncated too early,
> and that makes them useless many times.

That's true.  Programmers that need to debug these things should have an
easy way to get complete backtraces, but I don't think users should be
presented with them.  So perhaps we should just introduce a new switch,
like --complete-backtraces (or something) that would do the right thing
both in general and in ert.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no