Subject: Re: bug#51037: [PATCH] Make `print-level` & `print-length` customizable in ERT batch tests

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:59:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why do we limit print-length in batch mode?  In interactive session,
> one can click or type RET on the ellipsis and get it expanded, but no
> such joy in batch.  See
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg00395.html
>
> for how that makes debugging more difficult than it has to be.
>
> So how about using huge values in batch?  Are there any downsides?

It'll make the error summaries completely unreadable, which isn't what
you want when doing a "make check" -- you just want to see that there's
a problem and where it is.  (Well, at least I do.)

But when making a specific test (i.e., "make subr-tests" etc) it would
indeed be nice to have untruncated backtraces.  I think adding these new
variables would allow us to do this.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no