Subject: Re: bug#51032: 29.0.50; Choices for blink-matching-paren

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 12:17:01 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> "any other non-nil value" will act like t -- this is at least my
>> understanding.
>
> Then we probably should say so.  But how does 'blink-matching-paren'
> interact with 'blink-matching-paren-on-screen' non-nil (in particular
> when 'blink-matching-paren' is 'jump')?  I'm completely ignorant here.

Then we are 2.

> 'blink-matching-paren-on-screen' is not documented, its doc-string says
>
> "Non-nil means show matching open-paren when it is on screen."

The second sentence reads:

    If nil, don’t show it (but the open-paren can still be shown
    in the echo area when it is off screen).

My reading is this variable gives you more control in terms of: Don't
highlight the open-paren if on-screen (either jump or highlight), but do
if off-screen, i.e., show the position in the echo area.  But I think it
breaks for this combination:

    (setq blink-matching-paren 'jump-offscreen)
    (setq blink-matching-paren-on-screen nil)

which does nothing.  But that's another bug report from someone more
knowledgeable.

> In either case your proposal looks good to me.

Thanks, but Eli's patch is even better :)

Best, Arash