Subject: bug#51000: Please drop web manuals for released versions

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 18:59:20 -0700

Hi,

> Here is an untested patch

Guix suffers from an unhelpful anachronism that search engines
consistently rank historical versions of the Reference Manual [1]
above the latest edition. [2] It's probably because third-parties link
to historical versions more often than they do to the current version.
Please drop the historical versions.

Historical versions are irrelevant for current users and should only
be shipped on installation media. The current edition is only a 'guix
pull' away—a command we encourage widely.

As an example for the grave but unnecessary confusion, the manual
generally perceived as official lists the incorrect email address
[email-masked] as a way to contribute to Guix. [3]

Let's not put stumbling blocks before the blind, please. I beg you,
let's think of our fellow human beings. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html
[3] https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/en/guix.html#Multiple-Patches-1