Subject: bug#50999: 29.0.50; Deleting libraries obsolete since Emacs 24

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:47:06 +0100

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about telling people to not report bugs in those packages?  For
> instance, a disclaimer stating "this is obsolete and unsupported -- use
> at your own risk".
>
> Perhaps report-emacs-bug could detect that case, and warn the user.

If we distribute code, then we'll be fixing bugs in that code.  I don't
think there's any way around that.

We choose what code to introduce into Emacs, based on many things, but
among them is a consideration whether we think that the feature will be
useful to many people or not.  It's the same consideration when removing
features -- if we think that it's not used, then we remove it.  (And we
find out by making it obsolete and seeing whether there's any
complaints.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no