Subject: bug#50999: 29.0.50; Deleting libraries obsolete since Emacs 24

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 05:59:17 +0100

Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> And secondly, perhaps even the ones that people "are not using" could be
> left as-is, without maintenance.
>
> They could still be useful in the future.  Someone might decide to
> resurrect them, and some other unaccounted for person might still be
> using them.

It's just not practical.  We have to get rid of things that we no longer
think is very useful in Emacs, otherwise Emacs will grow unbounded, and
we don't have the maintainer capacity for that.

Emacs has a package system.  If there's a feature we remove from Emacs
that people think is useful, they'll create a package for it and carry
on.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no