Subject: bug#50999: 29.0.50; Deleting libraries obsolete since Emacs 24

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 02:37:43 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Po Lu [2021-12-07 10:21:28] wrote:
>> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> If it were me, I'd just bundle assoc.el with my code, rather than ask
>>> upstream to distribute it forever.
>> That raises the question of where to put assoc.el.
>
> I recommend /dev/null for it.
>
>> It might also lead to a proliferation of various incompatible versions
>> of it.
>
> Seeing that there's been basically no substantial made to it in a decade
> (other than cosmetic fixes), I wouldn't worry about it.
> Also because its semantics is sufficiently twisted that it'd be pretty
> hard to make any non-trivial change without risking breaking something.

To summarize this discussion, it seems like those who still need that
file should just keep a local copy.

One idea is to just copy the definitions from that short file to any
files that still use them.  (If it was me, I'd just wrap the definition
in unless+fboundp.)