Subject: Re: bug#50989: 28.0.60; nobreak-char-display in Eldoc buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 11:13:35 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Eldoc's display facilities are only for displaying.  Sure, you may want
>> to copy text away from there, but I'd say that's rare.  So it wouldn't
>> be a problem
>> in practice, unless I'm missing something
>
> I agree -- this is for display only, in which case NBSP and space are
> supposed to be indistinguishable.  With the attached patch, if you copy
> the text from the Eldoc buffer to some other buffer, the NBSPs are still
> there so they will be displayed as such.

I can see arguments for both ways of doing this -- "cleaning up" the
string before display, and fixing the display (as your patch is doing).

I think the main argument here -- that eldoc buffers are for display
only, so nbsp should be displayed as normal space -- is compelling,
though, so I've applied your patch to Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no