Subject: Re: bug#50985: Merging gnulib for Emacs 28.1?

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:26:24 -0700

On 10/4/21 05:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> At the time we discussed this, you said that --disable-year2038 has
> effect only on 32-bit GNU/Linux x86 and ARM systems.  Is that still
> so?  If so, I think we should mention that, as well as the relevant
> glibc versions, otherwise this option's audience is not well defined
> and users will not know whether it's for them or not.

OK, I installed it into emacs-28 with the following reworded NEWS item:

** There is a new configure option '--disable-year2038' to cause
Emacs to use only 32-bit time_t on platforms that have both 32- and
64-bit time_t.  This may help link Emacs to a library with ABI
requiring traditional 32-bit time_t.  This option currently affects
only 32-bit ARM and x86 running GNU/Linux with glibc 2.34 and later.
Emacs now defaults to 64-bit time_t on these platforms.

> The rest of the patches seem OK to me on first glance.  It is hard to
> know whether they could cause problems, but I guess we will know soon
> enough ;-)

Yes, there will surely be some glitches, and not just on MS-Windows. 
I'll send a brief word of warning to emacs-devel.