Subject: Re: bug#50976: 28.0.50; Tramp read-file-name regression

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 16:32:34 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Juri,

> This is a recent regression.  When visiting a remote Dired buffer,
> marking one file with C-SPC (set-mark-command), then moving point
> to another Dired file, then typing '=' (dired-diff) and 'RET'
> fails with the error "Attempt to compare the file to itself".
>
> This is because 'read-file-name' in the interactive spec of 'dired-diff'
> now returns the remote directory name after typing RET,
> while some time ago it correctly returned the default file name,
> that is the marked file that was used as the arg 'file' of 'dired-diff'.
>
> In local filesystems, RET still correctly returns the default file,
> not a directory name as it does now for remote directories.

FTR, git bisect has identified the following guilty commit:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
commit 225ca617b70d3c70376c2d9bf38ced2f2323b26e (refs/bisect/bad)
Author: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Jul 2 14:51:23 2021 +0200

    Implement another fix for bug#49229

    * lisp/minibuffer.el (read-file-name-default): Respect remote files.
    (Bug#49229)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I will check how bug#49229 could be fixed differently.

Best regards, Michael.