Subject: bug#50974: closed (Re: bug#50974: 28.0.60; apropos-compact-layout is broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 19:11:01 +0000

Your bug report

#50974: 28.0.60; apropos-compact-layout is broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50974: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50974
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50974: 28.0.60; apropos-compact-layout is broken
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Andriy Kmit' <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 22:10:16 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:48:10 +0300
> From: Andriy Kmit' <[email-masked]>
> 
> >> How to reproduce:
> >> emacs -Q --eval='(setq apropos-compact-layout t)' --eval='(apropos "doc")'
> > Thanks, I think I fixed this.
> 
> That was a lightning fast bug fix.
> 
> I can confirm it solved the problem on my end. Thank you!

Thanks for testing, I'm therefore closing the bug.

Subject: 28.0.60; apropos-compact-layout is broken
From: Andriy Kmit' <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 19:59:35 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When the variable apropos-compact-layout is set to t, M-x apropos fails 
with the
following error:
"fill-region-as-paragraph: Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)"

Due to the error, the *Apropos* buffer would not pop up, but one may still
switch to it manually with e.g. C-x b and observe the correct output.

How to reproduce:
emacs -Q --eval='(setq apropos-compact-layout t)' --eval='(apropos "doc")'

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
  of 2021-10-02 built on madand-laptop
Repository revision: 5c77cc958451b3bc9ddb6752be1d32f50cba3e41
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Artix Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
  --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --with-native-compilation
  --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
  -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fuse-ld=gold'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: uk_UA.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib apropos paren iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71435 7185)
  (symbols 48 6850 0)
  (strings 32 21052 1733)
  (string-bytes 1 990110)
  (vectors 16 14116)
  (vector-slots 8 301136 11983)
  (floats 8 26 45)
  (intervals 56 623 1)
  (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Regards,
Andriy Kmit'