Subject: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:52:08 +0200

Hi!

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> skribis:

> At the risk of doing exactly not that; since it will(/might) already
> provide some automagic conveniences, perhaps it makes sense to
> additionally load a guix-channels.scm.
>
> I understand that there would be some duplication of functionality
> w.r.t. ‘guix time-machine -C guix-channels.scm -- shell ...’, but if we
> already go the DWIW-route, why not go all the way? I think this should
> only apply when running ‘guix shell’ without arguments, if that was
> unclear.

Oh, it’s tempting yeah, but…  (1) only ‘time-machine’ and ‘pull’ deal
with channels currently, so it’d feel kind of weird to take care of that
here, and (2) pulling a specific channel is resource-intensive as you
know, much more than anything else, so I’d rather not have that happen
automatically.

But yeah, I agree that it could be useful.  Maybe a first step we could
make is have ‘time-machine’ load ‘channels.scm’, such that those who
want it can type:

  guix time-machine -- shell

?

Ludo’.