Subject: Re: bug#50960: [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:46:49 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Samstag, den 02.10.2021, 12:22 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> * guix/scripts/environment.scm (guix-environment*): Bypass calls to
>> 'package-derivation' and to 'manifest->derivation' when PROFILE is
>> true.
> This only affects `guix shell' and not `guix environment', right?

No, it affects ‘guix environment’ (it’s in environment.scm).  It’s an
optimization of ‘guix environment -p’, but its observable behavior is
unchanged; it’s just faster.

> Then again, if the following holds
>>   If you run ‘guix pull’ and run again ‘guix shell’, it recomputes
>>   the environment, as is currently the case with ‘guix environment’.
> then the behaviour of guix environment should also be consistent with
> what it did before, but with the added cache of guix shell.  Am I
> reading this correctly?

The cache itself is only in ‘guix shell’, in the no-argument case:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50960#9

Ludo’.