Subject: [bug#50960] [PATCH 06/10] environment: Skip derivation computation when '--profile' is used.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 13:39:05 +0200

Am Samstag, den 02.10.2021, 12:22 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> * guix/scripts/environment.scm (guix-environment*): Bypass calls to
> 'package-derivation' and to 'manifest->derivation' when PROFILE is
> true.
This only affects `guix shell' and not `guix environment', right?  If
not, does the outward behaviour of `guix environment' stay the same
considering this patch and 07/10?  There might be people relying on the
way `guix environment' *currently* works, who would need to be informed
about that change.

Then again, if the following holds
>   If you run ‘guix pull’ and run again ‘guix shell’, it recomputes
>   the environment, as is currently the case with ‘guix environment’.
then the behaviour of guix environment should also be consistent with
what it did before, but with the added cache of guix shell.  Am I
reading this correctly?

Regards,
Liliana