Subject: Re: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 12:50:29 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Here comes ‘guix shell’, a proposed replacement for ‘guix environment’!
Suddenly thousands(/dozens?) of shell scripts fear for their continued
existence :-)

>   2. ‘guix shell’, without arguments, loads ‘guix.scm’ or ‘manifest.scm’
>      from the current directory or one of its ancestors.
<snip>
>   4. ‘guix shell’ without arguments maintains a cache, such that, the
>      second time you run it, it runs in ~0.1s (it does not even need to
>      connect to the daemon).
>
>      If you run ‘guix pull’ and run again ‘guix shell’, it recomputes
>      the environment, as is currently the case with ‘guix environment’.
<snip>
> Thoughts?  Are there other changes people would like to see?
>
> If there’s rough consensus I can work on v2 with documentation.  Please
> let’s keep the discussion focused.  :-)

At the risk of doing exactly not that; since it will(/might) already
provide some automagic conveniences, perhaps it makes sense to
additionally load a guix-channels.scm.

I understand that there would be some duplication of functionality
w.r.t. ‘guix time-machine -C guix-channels.scm -- shell ...’, but if we
already go the DWIW-route, why not go all the way? I think this should
only apply when running ‘guix shell’ without arguments, if that was
unclear.

Love the proposal
- Jelle